The BRICS Working Group on Biotechnology and Biomedicine including Human Health and Neuroscience (hereinafter — WG Biomed) is being established in accordance with Article 6.1 of the BRICS Work Plan 2015-2018 and the Action Plan 2016-2017, adopted by the BRICS Jaipur Declaration signed at the 4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting on October 8, 2016.
The 1st Meeting of the BRICS of WG Biomed took place at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech), Moscow Region, on November 16-17, 2017.
WG Biomed operates according to Terms of Reference agreed by WG members during the 1st Meeting of WG Biomed.
The main goals of the WG Biomed are:
- to promote cooperation, exchange expertise and best practices in Biotechnology and Biomedicine, including Human Health and Neuroscience STI between BRICS countries
- to support and promote initiatives in the field of Biotechnology and Biomedicine, including Human Health and Neuroscience which will lead to developing and implementing of joint projects and programs between BRICS countries to address common global and regional socio-economic challenges utilizing such drivers as science, technology and innovation.
Membership and mode of operation of WG Biomed:
- Members of the WG on Biotechnology and Biomedicine designated by the competent organizations of the BRICS countries based on their experience and expertise in developing and implementing R&D.
- Each side designates a national focal point to facilitate communication between the members of the WG on Biotechnology and Biomedicine.
- Experts representing scientific and industry community with specific competences relevant to a subject of the agenda may be invited to attend the WG on Biotechnology and Biomedicine.